What's it all about?...

This Blog is basically my ramblings whilst on holiday - an electronic postcard!

Friday 6 April 2012

Rockefeller and Flat iron..

First let me explain the brevity of yesterday's blog. Because I am using my IPad on this holiday I wasn't able to include photos...until I had visited the Apple store yesterday and discussed the problem with a helpful Apple "Geek", he suggested I download an App for precisely this purpose. However there is a learning curve with all these things, and as I was learning how to use the software I was also paying for my ignorance with annoying "muck ups"... The last straw was when I "lost" all the interesting and amusing little anecdotes I had painstakingly typed in! Never mind, today I am confident all will be well...

 

This morning I went for an early morning run at Central Park, (7:30 am), and then we set off to view the dizzy heights of the Rockerfeller Centre Observation Deck. The Rockerfeller building has 72 floors - the Empire State has about 90, (and the World Trade Centre had about 120!), but it was still very high! It seemed that loads of people were going up, but like most of these places, they're so big that the crowds get absorbed by the space and there's really plenty of room for everyone. The views were stunning, made more so by the beautiful clear skies, the weather has been lovely and sunny, but very chilly.

 

After our descent and a coffee - and a muffin(!), we explored some "posh" shops. Tiffanys was very exclusive obviously - nothing had a price tag, but you know what they say: "if you need to ask the price you can't afford it!" Bloomingdales was just as "glitzy", loads of perfume and areas staffed by women with inches of make up on their faces, and inches of heels on their shoesr. I said to Jan: "Anything you want love, anything..." but mercifully she didn't call my bluff!

Yesterday evening Sally had gone out with a friend she knows from Uni, and so she wasn't with us till now, but we met up with her in a cafe near Grand Central Station for lunch and she told us about her "Brooklyn" adventures.

 

Jan and Sally left me for more retail therapy, (I hope she's forgotten that, "Anything you want" suggestion.....), and I went to explore more.

 

I wanted to find the "Flat Iron building", a block of offices built on a "wedge" shaped plot of land. The building is triangular in shape, (in fact some would say, in the shape of an old fashioned flat iron...). I found it, and it didn't disappoint me in it's weirdness.

 

Tonight Jan and I are off to the theatre to see James Corden in "One man, two Guvnors", so I now need to "freshen up".

 

2 comments:

  1. Well I must say that is a very informative description of the shape of a building. You'd never find me going into that much detail.

    Hope you enjoyed One Man Two Guvnors. I saw it at the National Theatre last year and at the time I said it was "quite simply the funniest play I have ever seen anywhere". Are the Americans getting it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Touché" Michael!, I resisted the temptation to title this Blog post, "pressing news from the Flat Iron building".... Two Guvnors was great, and I think the Yanks did really like the show, except there wasn't too many Yanks in the audience, although the place was full ,the punters were nearly all Brits!

      Delete

Facebook

Followers