What's it all about?...

This Blog is basically my ramblings whilst on holiday - an electronic postcard!

Friday 16 August 2013

The end of the line

 

So today we chugged into Singapore, the morning was taken with packing and hanging out at the observation carriage, (I say "hanging out" because "leaning out" was expressly forbidden - there was a sign that said so).

 

We crossed the causeway into Singapore and after disembarking were met by a transfer to our hotel. It was a novelty to be able to walk sideways sometimes, rather than feeling we had to squeeze along corridors to get around as on the train.

 

We ventured into China town in the afternoon, I wanted to find an "authentic" Chinese medicine shop to try and get something for a wart on my hand. Imagined a gloomy little opium den where an aged crone would concoct a foul smelling potion involving "eyes of newts and nail clippings from left handed goat herders", but actually the smart young man gave me a packet of what looked suspiciously like corn plasters from Boots... So much for my over active imagination!

 

A beer (hooray!), at Boat Quay and then we went shopping in a market, Jan bought my birthday present, (two days time folks, all will be revealed). We ate at a disappointing venue at Clarke Quay, neither off the vegetarian options were available, nor was the wi-fi, my meal arrived 10 minutes before the chips, which arrived 5 minutes before Jan's pizza, sigh. The evening ended with a slight panic, because we were in down town Singapore and could not find any way of getting back to the hotel, it seemed as if the Taxis had all disappeared! Eventually we got lucky and made it back, to fall wearily into our bed.

 

Ps. The eagle-eyed amongst you (Mike), may have noticed that the blogs on the train journey were published out of order, oops sorry, I hope this did not spoil your reading experience! Secondly, the more eagle-eyed amongst you, (you again Mike), may have noticed the blog has advertising! Yes indeed, I get paid (I presume), by google for the "hits" I get, (all these years with Jan and never before have I been paid for being hit!) Does this make me a professional author? So far this year I've made 8 pence, so perhaps J K Rowling's place on the "Rich list" is safe for now.

 

I have statistics for who clicks on these ads, and those responding to "Thai massages-discretion assured", need never fear, your secrets are safe with me, (once again, Mike!)

 

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've had a fab time. That massive mall with the ice rink was definitely huge and a nice temperature, but I was glad to be out if it eventually.

    Your trip has brought back memories of our holiday in Thailand 10 years ago and our Aussie adventure earlier this year (we visited Singapore too). Look forward to hearing all about it all when you are back. Maybe we need to dinner all dressed up so we can see the suit in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrew, definitely up for a formal "do", as I need to get my money's worth! Hope you're enjoying the blog.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Facebook

Followers