What's it all about?...

This Blog is basically my ramblings whilst on holiday - an electronic postcard!

Wednesday 11 August 2010

Carry on cruisin'


Day 7 - St Petersberg! Mother Russia greeted us with very gloomy skies, thunder and lightening in fact – but it was all blue skies by the time we got off – hmmmm I had no plans to “get off” in Russia, it must be the new spirit of East west cooperation!
We are taking “proper” tours today and tomorrow, we figured the culture is so different and err, dangerous, that a tour would be wiser.
We went to the Hermitage and Winter Palace, it is an art gallery/museum, holding over 3 million exhibits! The building was stunning, ornate plaster work, chandeliers etc. well worth the visit.
We had lunch at a nearby restaurant, next to the city registry office and I took some pictures of a happy, newly wedded couple, anyway this shady man said he would take pictures for me and was very insistent that I let him help....... Yes really, I was going to let a complete stranger have my camera.... He had trouble understanding “no” and “Niet”, and I almost had to teach him some Anglo saxon phrases before we walked away!
Did a coach tour of the city with “photo” opportunities, nice city to look at, but the traffic was bad and the heat was hot – Jan began feeling “iffy”, so it was a relief to finally get back to the ship.
Tonight's film? “From Russia with love”, (honest!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook

Followers